Summer 2013 one gnome-er, student- from RI travels to Peru and Guatemala to improve her Spanish, gain experience as a possible future medical anthropologist, and explore. *Obviously this is not the correct word.

El verano 2013 un gnomo-er, student- de RI viaja al Peru y Guatemala para mejorar, su espanol, aumenta su experiencia en antropologia medica, e explorar. *Obviamente no es la palabra correcta.



6.22.2013

Viviendo en Cusco; El Barrio Wanchaq

     Vivo en el barrio se llama Wanchaq. La casa de mi familia está ubicado en una urbanización, un calle donde las casas están conectadas en un bloque con patios en dentro una pared exterior. No puedo pronunciar "urbanización" para nada, por eso los conductores de taxis me ven con confusión y duda frecuentemente. Es un barrio grande, en mi opinión, que incluye la Avenida de la Cultura con la Hospital Regional de Cusco donde hago "shadowing." No me conviene caminar al despartimiento de los estudiantes en mi programa porque toma mucho tiempo y una vez se me perdí en una área insegura. Me molesta la distancia entre las casas de los estudiantes de Ecela. También, siguiente a la Red, tiene la mejor chifa en la ciudad aunque ya no la he probado. Mi Gnomo disfruta la mural de un restaurante de chifa prestigio en los repasos por Internet.      I live in the Wanchaq neighborhood (a name which is likely Quechuan but which I can't find a translation of.) My host family's house is on an "urbanizacion," a street where the houses are connected in a block with yards inside a long outer wall. I can't pronounce "urbanizacion" for anything so taxi drivers usually stare at me in confusion and great doubt, much to my chagrin. It's a big neighborhood, in my opinion, and it includes the Avenida de la Cultura with the hospital where I shadow. I don't feel comfortable walking to the apartment where most of the other students in my program live because it takes quite some time and once I got terribly lost in a decidedly unsafe place. It bugs me that the Ecela students' houses are so far away from each other. But anyway, according to the Interwebs, Wanchaq has the best Chinese food in Cusco, though I haven't tried it yet. My gnome enjoys the mural on the outside of the Chinese restaurant hereabouts with the best Internet reviews.
     Aparece que este barrio tiene mucho orgulloso en su espacio verde. Hay letreros en todos los lugares que dicen cosas como "Siembra un árbol para estar alegre," "Sin agua no hay vida," y "No pise en el pasto." Me aprecia el sentimiento pero la contaminación excesiva de los carros y las heces de los perros callejeros disminuyen la impresión de cuida total del medio ambiente.       It seems that this neighborhood has great pride in their green space. There are signs everywhere that say things like "Plant a tree in order to be happy," "Without water there's no life," and "Don't step on the grass." I appreciate the sentiment but the contamination from the cars and the excrement of stray dogs reduces the overall impression of complete care for the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment