Summer 2013 one gnome-er, student- from RI travels to Peru and Guatemala to improve her Spanish, gain experience as a possible future medical anthropologist, and explore. *Obviously this is not the correct word.

El verano 2013 un gnomo-er, student- de RI viaja al Peru y Guatemala para mejorar, su espanol, aumenta su experiencia en antropologia medica, e explorar. *Obviamente no es la palabra correcta.



6.18.2013

Cosas Cotidianas/Everyday Things: Desayuno/Breakfast


Mi familia de "host" en Cusco siempre me sirve la misma tipo del desayuno, excepto los domingos cuando hay un poco más, con dos o tres tipos de pan y unas aceitunas que a mi padre "host" le encantan.  Cada mañana tomo el té (regular o, si me siento enferma, el de manzanilla para cólicos o de coca para jaquecas) con un poco de azúcar marrón; queso; pan dulce en el forma de croissants o pan chuta (pan tradicional hecho en una estufa de lena); jalea de sauco, una planta indígena a Cusco; la mantequilla; y jugo de fruta fresco exprimido. El agua para el té mantiene caliente en un termos, un sistema ingenio.

  My host family in Cusco serves me the same type of breakfast every morning, except Sundays when there's a little more, with two or three types of bread and some olives which my host dad loves. Every morning I have tea (regular or, if I feel sick, chamomile for stomach problems or coca for headaches) with a little brown sugar; cheese; sweet bread shaped like croissants or a traditional bread made in a brick oven; sauco jelly made from a plant indigenous to Cusco; butter; and freshly squeezed fruit juice. The water for tea is kept warm in a thermos, an ingenious system. 
El Gnomo quiere mu queso./Gnome wants my cheese.
 La mayoría de la comida (incluido el queso y la mantequilla) no está refrigerado. Almacenan el pan y el resto en cestas y jarros en los armarios de la cocina. También, me interesa (y estoy decepcionada que) el leche no sea muy popular en Perú. En vez, a veces bebe un tipo del yogurt en forma del liquido.  Pero por lo menos recibo calcio del queso y mis vitaminas pegajosas de mi madre en RI.  


Also, most of the food (including the cheese and butter) are not refrigerated. They store the bread and the rest of the food in baskets and jars in the kitchen cupboard.  I also found it interesting (and disappointing) that milk isn't popular in Peru. In place, sometimes my host mother will drink a type of liquid yogurt. But at least I get my calcium from the cheese and from my daily gummy vitamins my mom (real mom, in RI) got me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment