Summer 2013 one gnome-er, student- from RI travels to Peru and Guatemala to improve her Spanish, gain experience as a possible future medical anthropologist, and explore. *Obviously this is not the correct word.

El verano 2013 un gnomo-er, student- de RI viaja al Peru y Guatemala para mejorar, su espanol, aumenta su experiencia en antropologia medica, e explorar. *Obviamente no es la palabra correcta.



5.25.2013

First 12 Hours in Peru/Primero 12 Horas en Peru

I should write shorter entries but I don't want to forget things.
Debo escribir las entradas más cortas pero no quiero olvidar ningún.


The flight to Lima was 8 hours and all the flight attendants were from Texas. They didn't speak much Spanish at all which was hard for all the passengers returning to Peru. I arrived in Lima at 9 at night, overwhelmed and exhausted. The people at the Boston airport told me that my luggage was going straight to Cuzco so I didn't pick it up in Lima. Hugh mistake. All baggage has to go through customs and so, damnit, I don't have my suitcase. It's still in Lima.

Fue el vuelo de 8 horas a Lima y los asistentes de vuelo fueron de Tejas. Ellas no hablaban español, un hecho dificil por los pasajeros quienes estaban regresando a Peru. Llegué en Lima a las nueve por la noche, agotada y agobiada. La gente al aeropuerto en Boston me dijo que ellos hubo enviado el equipaje a Cuzco entonces no lo recojé. El error grande. Todas las maletas necesitan pasar por las aduanas y, por eso, no tengo la maleta. Está  en Lima. 

Anyway, the two men from the Manhatten Airport Hotel in Callao, the neighborhood close to Jorge Chavez Airport in Lima, brought me to the hotel. The porter, named Angele and 23 years old just like me, helped me find a bak to exchange my money for Nuevos Soles. A nice kid, Angele told me he doesn't like Lima because it's boring and wants to travel to the US to work in Washington, D.C. But he loves Cuzco and Machu Picchu-- he visited when he was younger. He knocked on my hotel room door and gave me a present, a hat that says "Cuzco" and has llama designs so I would "be ready for Cuzco." Such a sweet new friend! De todos modos, dos hombres del Manhattan Airport Hotel en Callao, el barrio cerca de Jorge Chavez Aeropuerto en Lima, me recojeron al hotel. El portero quien se llama Angele y tiene 23 años como mi, me ayudó a buscar el banque con intercambio. Un chico simpatico, Angele me dijo que a el no le gusta Lima porque es aburrido. Quiere viajar a los EE UU para trabajar en Washington, D.C. Pero a él 
 le encanta Machu Picchu y Cuzco-- visitó un vez cuando era nino. Tocó en la puerta de mis habitación en el hotel y me dí en regalo la gora con la palabra "Cuzco" y diseños de las llamas por eso yo estaría "lista para Cuzco." Que amable un amigo nuevo! 
Manhattan Airport Hotel.


The hotel was in a working clase neighborhood but it was comfortable and agreeable. There was a room next to the bedroom/main room where I slept that had two chairs and some Peruvian folk art. The Gnome was quite interested in a tiny chapel made of tin.


El hotel fue en el barrio de clase obrera pero fue cómodo y agradable. Hay un cuarto al lado del dormitorio con dos sillas y arte folklórica. Al Gnomo le interesa la capilla  pequeñisima.
I left the hotel at four in the morning. I panicked, freaked out really, when I realized the baggage situation. Luckily Starbucks- I know, Starbucks, of all places, in South America!-- saved me with its wifi and the information that an affiliated airline, Copa, could help me although United doesn't have offices in the Lima airport. I caught my plane to Cuzco at the last minute. 

Fui del hotel a las cuatro por la manana. Tenia el pánico   y estaba muy distraída cuando me dé cuenta de la situación mala con el equipaje. United Airline no tiene la oficina en Lima. Por suerte, Starbucks (yo sé , de todos lugares en el mundo, Starbucks en Sudamerica) me salvó con el wifi y la información de acompañía aéreo relatada, Copa. Cogí la avion al Cuzco al último momento. 




No comments:

Post a Comment