Summer 2013 one gnome-er, student- from RI travels to Peru and Guatemala to improve her Spanish, gain experience as a possible future medical anthropologist, and explore. *Obviously this is not the correct word.

El verano 2013 un gnomo-er, student- de RI viaja al Peru y Guatemala para mejorar, su espanol, aumenta su experiencia en antropologia medica, e explorar. *Obviamente no es la palabra correcta.



5.24.2013

Le Presento el Gnomo y Mi Cuenta

Gnomes travel the world. Just ask my high school best friend's gnome-- he spent 6 months in Europe two years ago. So one my gnomes who carries a suitcase and has a passport has been getting antsy. Lil Rhody isn't big enough for him, small though he is. (I don't know his name yet. He hasn't been chatty and right now I can't ask him because he's wrapped in a handkerchief in the side pocket of my carry-on bag.)
Los gnomos viajan el mundo. Le pregunta al gnomo de mi mejor amigo del colegio--hace dos años que él paso seis meses en europa. Entonces un de mis gnomos quien tiene la maleta and el pasaporte se ha puesto inquieto. Para tí, Lil Rhody es demasiado pequeño aunque el es pequeño  (No sé su nombre. No ha estado chistoso porque está envuelto en el pañuelo en el bolsillo de mi bolsa de mano.)



My collection of gnomes, minus one/ Mi collecion de los gnomos, sin uno.
Somehow this tiny creature convinced me to leave not only my tiny home state but also my native country and explore Latin America. I'm an amateur anthropologist with a great love of writing and language, science and medicine, art and antiques. When I graduated and received the Shinn Fund for Study Abroad Award (with five other adventurous young women of my very own Rhode Island College, known as RIC), he didn't have to work too hard to get me packing.
 De alguna manera este duende pequenísimo no solo me convencio' dejar de el estado pequeño nativo pero tambien mi país nativo y explorar Latinoamerica. Soy antropologista novicio con el amor grande por escribir y las idiomas, las ciencias y la medicina, el arte y los antiguos. Cuando me gradu'e and recibé el Shinn Fund for Study Abroad Award (con cinco otras mujeres aventureras de my universisidad, RIC), el no trabajé duro para convencerme empacar la maleta.
Guess where I'm going first./Adivina a donde voy primero.
Studying abroad after I graduated, you ask? Is that possible? Technically, no. But thanks to the wonderful folks at RIC, I'll be taking Spanish classes in Cuzco, Peru and Antigua, Guatemala this summer and... Estudiar extranjero despues de me gradué¿Es posible? Técnicamente,  no. Pero gracías a la gente extraordinaria de RIC, tomaré  clases de español en Cuzco, Peru y Antigua, Guatemala este verano y...
Empty. No diploma yet./ Vacio. Todavia no la diploma.
...receiving my diploma by mail in August, officially ending my undergraduate career then ...recibiré el certificado por correo en agosto, lo que terminaré mi tiempo a la universidad.





So begins my journey to Latin America with El Gnomo Roam-o!
¡Entonces empiece mi viaje a Latinoamerica con El Gnomo Roam-o!


Adios America y hola a Peru y Guate. :)

2 comments:

  1. Follow YOUR dreams! If they lead you into a dead end, find your way out and begin again. You have the spirit within you and the only thing you really need is the desire to succeed. I hope your start to your world adventure moves out of any dead ends and into the well used roadway. Love you! Go Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dad! (See any Spanish mistakes? Haha :) )

    ReplyDelete